Friday, May 05, 2006

Mother's Day

Does this day belong to mothers more than any other?

I have a problem here, that's O.K. though I have a problem with Women's History Month,Nurse's Week,Secretary's Day and any other celebration that relegates,to a specific set apart time, the respect, love, and attention;given to any women, any human being, that is due them every moment of every day.

You may argue that this is just an extra special time,but, that's the easy Hallmark answer. I've known women, bitter with the cold neglect of a year, who smile too appropriately as pictures were snapped on their "special" day.

I propose, at least, a Quarterly Mother's weekend.

It's spring, time for Spring Cleaning. After all, what would make a mom feel more appreciated than to have people acknowledge her work by doing it. A house and garden,cleaned top to bottom, front to back,side to side; shelves stocked with groceries; hand made meals prepared ; all done by the loving hands of sons and daughters, demonstrating what they have learned from Mom. Showing, that they have more to share, than a greeting card, a box of sugar, a few dead flowers, or a half a days paycheck; tax and tip included.

Mother's Day is a week from tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fuff said...

Definitely. I wonder whether there should be Mothers Day, Fathers Day etc at all though. Why put aside one day a year to go out of your way to make gestures?

3:39 AM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

Fuff:

My point exactly!

4:08 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

yes, yes, men are beasts, got it. Actually I do the bulk of the cooking, know how to operate the vaccuum, washer, drier, and actually got excited when Mr. Clean came out with a bathtub scrubber on a stick. My wife teaches and is working on a Masters, we both live here so it is only fair to pitch in. I think the day of the Haus Frau is long gone.

I don't observe any holiday that doesn't buy me some time off work anyway. All the rest are just Florisits holidays. What some people won't stoop to to put a little more coin in their pockets. How about "Total Stranger Appreciation Day"

10:14 AM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Hear, hear! I agree with the post and the comments.

It's something my family has said since I was a tot (many many moons ago): what is the point of singling out one day in a year if the rest of the year said supposed celebrant (mother, father, admin, etc) is either ignored or treated like poop.

I think we would all be better off if we didn't just choose one day, but made an effort to show how we feel with basic kindnesses on a regular basis.

1:24 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Or how about Phos Day. It would always fall on a weekend and everyone would get Friday and Monday off, just because. Oh and you wouldn't have to give anyone squat, not even a crappy card - you'd just have to face SW (where I live) and say "Thanks Phos" at noon on Friday.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Tiffanie said...

I'm going to see my Mom this weekend and I love your idea of cooking and cleaning for her! I hadn't thought of that. What a wonderful idea.

I tell her I appreciate her, this is something that has newly developed since I had my own kids. Now I can show her.

And you are also right, it is silly to do it just one day a year.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home