Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Cancer sucks

I met some one once who said they wanted to get their Mom a t-shirt. Their Mom was in remission with breast cancer. They wanted the T-shirt to say "I survived cancer therapy".
I get it now. My cancer was asymptomatic until a week or two before diagnosis and even then it was no big deal. And my cancer was advanced to what the American Cancer Society calls Stage 2B. With therapy I have a 60% chance at a five year survival , without therapy the doctor gave me 3 months.
Well its been 2 years and the chemo and radiation have done their job , so far so good( still waiting on the most recent test result). Last night though, I forgot to take my medicine. I had a so so night but I'm paying today, I could take the other medicine but it fuzzes me up and I might have to drive. I think I'm going to have to take it though, I really can't see going on like this all day. OK, whatever, the point of this all being, the problems I'm having are not from the cancer but from the treatment.
If I had gone for regular check ups I could have avoided all this with an early diagnosis. So, if you have a cervix make sure you Don't Skip Your Pap Smears and if you know someone with a cervix don't let them skip their check ups either. This is a killer disease, but with early diagnosis it is relatively easy to cure. With regular Pap smears, HPV testing and the new HPV vaccine we can virtually wipe out cervical cancer in our lifetimes.
So if your due for a check up make that phone call today. You could be saving yourself. You wouldn't let any one else hurt you right? So don't hurt yourself.
If just one person reads this post and goes for their checkup it will be worth it to me to have shared. Let me know how you are doing.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Amen to that.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Freakin A cancer sucks. I never miss my appointments.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

I have to family members battling cancer right now. The treatment is really hard on them.

I'm overdue for my pap. I guess I need to get my butt in gear.

Thanks for the reminder.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

I never miss check ups anymore. It's too little effort for what could save your life

2:44 AM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I avoided it for the longest time, especially after my first experience (rough hands. ouch!), but finally got around to it last December. :-)

Sending positive waves in your direction.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home