Monday, December 25, 2006

Hair today gone tomorrow

I wish I could figure out this picture posting deal. Yesterday #2 son took some photos of my waist length hair. It has already started slipping out each time I comb it. I figure I've lost at least 30% of my volume. Still. I can't decide whether to chop it all off ( sounds rash) or trim it (sounds sensible) or just let it go slowly and see what happens ( sounds typically me). It doesn't look too bad yet just a little thin and fringy compared to usual.

So what is the problem? I start crying every time I comb my hair. Geeze I sound vain and stupid don't I ? It is just that I always wanted really long hair and it finally got around to cooperating after my first chemo and at least 100 three foot long hairs come out in my hands every time and it makes my sad and reminds me I'm "sick" even when I feel OK.

Also, I don't want to look "sick" and have people pitying me and asking dumb questions and telling me stories about their relative ( now dead) whose hair fell out on chemo and never grew back before they died, etc. People out there... we know you need compassion for the loss of your loved one ,but, asking for it from a chemo patient is really asking a lot. A Whole Lot...Argh!

OK , fairsCaPe, you have your Pollyanna reputation to consider here. Try not to go nuts on well meaning(?) strangers...

On the positive side, it is an outward sign that the chemo is infusing throughout my system. Also, My "grannybun" hairdo is a few generations out of style no matter how comfy I find it. And, if I keep my wits about me as I comb I can put the hair out with the bird food... birds love to use hair in their nest.

I just worry about shedding long strands and someone tripping over them... fiddle, dee, dee, tomorrow is another day... and I start chemo... time to concentrate evil thoughts on the buggers and positive thoughts on the good bits. I will post when I can.

8 Comments:

Blogger caramaena said...

F - what trouble are you having posting a photo? Let me know if I can help at all. caramaena at gmail dot com is my addy.

I hope you had a lovely christmas!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

The issue of loosing one's hair to chemo is a lot of things... but it is never, ever about vanity! Do, or don't do, only what is right for you Fairscape. As for me, I'm just so very glad to have you here with me this Christmas. Selfish of me, yes - I know. But there you have it. Merry, merry Christmas Fairscape, to you and yours. You have only the very best of my thoughts and wishes, always.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy christmas 2 u n urs fs
xx dx3

3:28 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

Merry Christmas F!
Your hair will grow back. Thinking of you. Hope you had a good day xxx

4:13 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Just remember those who care about you aren't looking at your hair. We love the person under it!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Overboard said...

That's it. The birds nest bit made me chuckle so much. You're a right nutter. Keep it up! :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Dino said...

my friend was diagnosed with ovarian cancer some years back and she went bald when the chemo effects started to set in. She just wore goofy hats and stuff. It grew back really nice. BTW you can always wear wigs. It takes my hair about 2 years to grow to my waste so I cut it and give it to locks of love. if you check my blog for the november archive you'll see my cut off ponytail that I sent off.

9:00 AM  
Blogger ya-lil-brother said...

hey sis.
Just think of all the time your going to save drying your hair. Yeah Chemo sucks and losing hair sucks but you just keep swinging for the fences you will hit a homerun and get the health back. Your hair will grow back!!!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home