Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Texas catheters

First, I can not believe how difficult it has been to post lately. I have no confidence this will ever actually be seen by anyone but me. I managed to get a poem up on fairsCaPe. At least I think I did. Oh well, log on and blog on I always say...

Todays topic is one you may or may not care for or ever have the opportunity to have need of information or actual wise. It is about the venerable texas catheter. We avoided using them on Sonnyboy for the longest time because our experience with them was limited to their improper use by hospital staff. Properly used they are really not bad. The trick to their proper usage is to remove them each time the patient voids and to thoroughly cleanse him. We use a gentle lotion and baby wipes because Sonnyboy is so fragile. The next important thing is to completely dry and powder the patient. We use Ammens medicated powder. Let the patient have a short "breathing " period before reaplying the catheter. Following manufacturers directions will mess you up. Always attach the catherter to the drainage tube before applying, then roll it on, then give it a friendly squeeze to set it in place. Use a fresh catheter each time. Washing and reusing is a false economy plagued with catheter failures and wet beds. Hopefully no one out there will need this info but if you have a frail elderly parent or grandparent it might be easier than changing diapers. Sonnyboy voids up to a liter/quart of urine at a time and the darn things hold on at least 80% of the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger caramaena said...

"Following manufacturers directions will mess you up".

Funny how often that is true.

Good to see you back again btw.

10:13 PM  
Blogger caramaena said...

Oh and as for how I found your blog - I don't recall exactly, but I have a feeling I may have viewed your profile after you commented on the Company Bitch blog. Possibly...

[memory like a sieve these days]

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good 2 c u agin

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home