Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poisoning Time

It is that time of year. Time to poison all creatures great and small. The chemical trucks rumble through our neighborhood with their latest witless drivers sloshing and careening around the bend with no regard for the living. They are after all , delivering death. Death to all the little things that would dare to creep beneath the fine green grass and death to all the larger ones that creep upon it. Death to any plant not planted by design and death to the water supply needed to feed it all. Death to the planet. Death... arg!!!

They squint suspiciously at my "lawn" as they ooze by- weeds, bare spots, dry spots, birds, bunnies and squirrels merrily dot the "landscape". We keep it tidy. No washing machines on the porch(well just that once). No rusting pickup on the grass(its parked nicely in the drive way thank you). And while we rarely cut the backyard(my bird sanctuary) we do stay a step ahead of the Villages "weeds and debris" letter out front.

My poopyheaded next door neighbor is a sprayer. Not just the big truckfuls of glop but some secret, hidden, expired, not sold in stores anymore,illegal, chemical-supply-tucked-away-in-the-corner-of-the-garage-under-a-dirty-rag sort of stuff. Neurotoxic, carcinogenic military industrial complex strength stuff. Scorched earth stuff.

The stuff makes Sonnyboy seizure. In fact, the first time he seizured was on a beautiful, sunny, breezy spring day. A day my neighbor was out there spraying. A day we had opened the windows to invite the day in. In came The Spray. Out went Sonnyboy.

It took a while to make the connection but once I did I begged this person not to spray. I appealed to her intellect. She is after all a teacher at the most highly rated high school in the county. I appealed to her humanity. I obtained literature on "green" alternatives. I threatened to cut down her stupid ornamental fruit trees. I even called the police and was able to get Sonnyboy out of the house while she sprayed and then I had #2 son hose off our house. Last year Sonnyboy was in a respite facility at spraying time. It's that time again.

Maybe she managed to spray while he was in the hospital. He did seizure all day after we brought him home.

How can smart people do such stupid things?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bcos they r uncarin assholes

3:03 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

My neighbors are asswipes too and the yards are so small I have 'em living in my back pocket. I spray for bugs (we have some pretty nasty customers out here) and I am about to spray the vine the asshole behind me never trims - it grows over the wall and into my yet. I have cautioned him repeatedly that if he didn’t start taking care of it, I would.

Seems like the asswipe next to you needs a nice lawsuit shoved right up where the weed killer don't shine. Get you a shyster and have at – it is the American way, after all!
hit. T

8:44 PM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

PK

I have already turned down 3 lawyers on this one. I have no desire to become embroiled in another lawsuit. Sonnyboy's malpractice was enough for me. I figure if she keeps it up she'll kill herself. Even cockroaches die.

4:42 AM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

DP

rite u r

4:43 AM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

Ah, Sweet, Sensible, Dirk!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

This is a terrible situation, FairSCaPe. This woman is not only endangering herself but her neighbors, and I don't mean Sonnyboy alone.

If you don't want to get lawyers involved, maybe the Public Health office or an environmental office would be the way to go.

10:07 PM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

T&B

The police have been involved. All thay can do is fine her if they catch her spraying if one us calls at the time it is happening if we can prove she didin't give us three days of warning before she sprays. It seems I am the only neighbor that values animal life above plant life. Speciest me. It is currently not illegal to own or use these chemicals only illegal to purchase them. Some sort of phase out program.I'm hoping she runs out soon. If I could "afford to do the time" I'd sneak over there one night...

3:20 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Unfortunately the cockroaches will be that last to die - I was shelter supervisor in SAC when he Ruskies and we weren't getting along and if they would have hit the US (nuke-wise) even chickens would have outlasted us.

Got no use for shysters myself, at least live ones.

3:12 PM  
Blogger jin said...

I simple HATE that people can still use that shyte on their lawns!!! The smell...that horrible horrible smell when the windows are open & an ignorant neighbor has the lawn "fertilized" or that's what they call it anyway. The house where I sleep has a neighbor like that...but I am lucky that the place where I spend most of my time (the pastry shoppe) does not have ANYone in roughly a 3 block radius that sprays. It's funny you should say that about your lawn...my husband cuts the front lawn (at the shoppe) every week or two, for the trim appearance with customers coming in all the time. But the back yard is only trimmed about once per month, if that. We have the squirrels, bunnies, TONS of birds! It's so wonderful! Would you believe, Sunday afternoon we came in & I stared in shock...someone had cut our lawn in the backyard!!! SHORT!!! I still don't know who did it, or why, but my husband was so upset! I'm sure you know the birds feed off the bugs this time of year & the bunnies on the grass. I just can't believe someone did that!? Mmmm, well, sorry about the long comment, I do that sometimes! lol. I'm glad I came over here & caught this post of yours.
I'm sending my best healing wishes to your son. :-)

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home