Friday, November 24, 2006

hesitation

I actually hesitate to tell you how things are going because it stretches even the limits of my vast imagination.

My test was Tuesday at which time the doctor doing the test volunteered the information that the results would be ready on Wednesday. Due to the fact that the iv they placed was outside of my vien (after three sticks) and the enormous quantity of sedatives (versed) and pain medication (fentanyl) they were poring into me were not going into my circulation just into the subcutaneous tissue of my arm I had a great deal of pain during the procedure. Couple that with the fact that I am allergic to and could not take any locals and it is not a pretty picture at all. All during the test my arms were positioned straight up over my head and i was forbidden from moving AT ALL. They were practically accusing me of being a drug addict ( I have been taking vicodin in the week preceding the test as I have not been able to take my regular dose of naprosyn for my osteoarthritis (that I got from chemotherapy) at their direction. I was also accused of "fighting" the medication. The doctor was so angry and frustrated with me that he said I would have to go to the OR if I needed another procedure and I said FINE. After they were finished digging around at the "tumor" in my anterior abdominal wall I sat up and low and behold there was my arm at the bend of my elbow swollen with all the meds I had been "fighting". The iv was whipped out and I was sent to the recovery area and discharged. The meds started working in the car on the way home so I had a fairly comfortable night. I did not go see Bobby that day but as I was so comfy Steven did go.

I was up at about 4 am on Wednesday, worried about the results of the test. At 10 am I called my doctors office. The nurse started screaming at me about how I couldn't be calling every two hours yada yada yada... now this was my first phone call. The test had been completed at 10:30 the previous day. The doctor at the hospital told me 24 hours. The hospital's cytology website said 24 hours. I burst into tears for being yelled at and handed Steven the phone. The nurse APOLOGIZED to Steven for making me cry etc. She promised to call back. We decided this was not the news we should get on a cell phone in a nursing home hallway so Steven went to see Bobby and I stayed home to wait for the call. She called back at 4:00pm to tell me the results were not ready and that the office would be closing for the holiday until MONDAY. I did not see Bobby on Wednesday but as I said Steven was there much of the day.

We were supposed to have Thanksgiving Breakfast with #2 son and nicegirlfriend (who live with us). I was up at 4am. They came downstairs at 11:00 am. At 11:01 the phone rang. It was the PA at Bobby's nursing home. His G Tube was leaking all his formula and medications so they were sending him to the ER to be evaluated. We Ran out of the house. After 12 hours in the ER we were sent back with the diagnosis of poor care by the facility and over reaction . Yippee.

While we were in the ER I begged everybody to check and see if my results were ready. Because of NYS Hippa privacy laws nobody could even check. I proposed feigning chest pain to get admitted so they could check. Trust me I was close but I have a terrible character defect. I am nearly incapable of lying. Needless to say we left with a great deal of sympathy but no results. We got Bobby settled back into bed at the facility and I don't remember what time we got home but it was late.

I slept until 8 am today. It is almost 9. Very soon I will be pissing off some on call doctor trying to get my test results. I am nearly totally nuts at this point.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fuff said...

What utter bastards. Hang on in there F, will be thinking of you.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

What creeps! You call them as often as you like! It's your test results, your body, your health! It's their job to deal with you so you just bug them till they give you your test results!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Oh! How absurd it is for that doctor to accuse you of "fighting the medicine"! AS IF...

1:56 PM  
Blogger jin said...

They are completely 'soulless creatures'.
Imagine their karma in the next life.
You've still got GOOD things coming to you fairsCaPe, hang in there!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Overboard said...

Grrrrr. I'd like to give them a piece of my mind.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I'm pretty sure that nurse/receptionist that yelled at you also works for my doctor! Same treatment. Unbelievable, huh? It makes me so damn mad. Did then too. I ranted good and long at my doctor when I finally got hold of him. His entire office heard it! I can be a real Bitch!

Wish I could have been that for you Fairscape! I would have you know.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home